A play from the short story by Aldous Huxley.
Performed by STADS at St. Teilo’s Church Hall, Bishopston on April 14th, 15th, 21st & 22nd, 1978. Tickets cost 30p, children 20p, OAPs 15p.
Emily Hutton has been a complaining chronic invalid and her husband Henry, a rich and still comparatively young man, has found consolation elsewhere. For years he has shared his intellectual and artistic interests with Janet Spence, valuing her Gioconda-like inscrutability, but Janet’s surface calm hides an intense passion for Henry, and she poisons Emily. When, after several months’ separation, she finds Henry has married someone else she determines to wreak havoc on their lives.
- Beryl West
Cast (in order of appearance)
- ‘Henry Hutton’ ~ Alan Booker
- ‘Janet Spence’ ~ Brenda Jones
- ‘Nurse Braddock’ ~ Patricia Quick
- ‘Maria’ ~ Anita McNamara
- ‘Doris Mead’ ~ Mair Morgan
- ‘Dr Libbard’ ~ Gwyn Roberts
- ‘General Spence’ ~ Brian Keal
- Maid ~ Carol Fowler
- First warder ~ Brian Shaw
- Second warder ~ Mick Shaw
- Stage Manager ~ John Lloyd
- Assistant ~ Derek Humphreys
- Lighting ~ John Dixon
- Props ~ Margaret Lloyd, Carol Fowler
- Make-up ~ Jill Dixon, Dorothy Morris