An adaptation by Constance Cox of the famous novel by Charlotte Brontë.Performed by BATS at St. Teilo’s Church Hall, Bishopston on March 31st and April 1st, 6th, 7th and 8th, 2006. Tickets £4, senior citizens £3. See original poster advertisement.
Jane Eyre is the bittersweet story of the life of a strong, passionate young woman, who survives a wretched childhood to become a governess and falls deeply in love…all does not run smoothly…will she ever experience true happiness…?
- D C
- Tony Currell
Cast (in order of appearance)
- ‘Mrs Fairfax’ ~ Julie Greenwood
- ‘Leah’ ~ Laura Sims
- ‘Jane Eyre’ ~ Sian Cole
- ‘Adele’ ~ Helen Gallagher
- Woman ~ Carol Rood
- ‘Mr Rochester’ ~ Barry Cooper
- ‘Blanche Ingram’ ~ Heather Cooper; Christine Whiffin (singing voice)
- ‘Lady Ingram’ ~ Doreen Davies
- ‘Mason’ ~ Tony Currell
- ‘Briggs’ ~ Stewart Hiorns
- Stage Manager ~ Alan Bailey
- Assistants ~ Simon Ellett, Neil Chamberlain, Mike Turner
- Prompt ~ Ros Brace
- Props ~ Alison Lloyd
- Costumes ~ Heather Cooper
- Make-up ~ Julie Greenwood, Joyce Childs
- Front-of-house, Refreshments ~ Dorothy Morris, Ian Evans, Heather Cooper, David Spear, Maureen Bailey, Val Hiorns, Geoff Davies, Barbara Spear
I would like to start by saying once again how much the cast and crew of BATS appreciate the support that our patrons, sponsors and audiences give to us and our productions. It is for that reason that I felt that “Jane Eyre” was a big responsibility – especially for a fledgling director, because so many people have told me that “Jane Eyre is my favourite story”. For those people, I hope we do this classic story the justice it deserves.
We have taken the preparation for this play very seriously; not only have we watched every filmed version of Jane Eyre we could get our hands on, we also battled our way to Malvern through a very snowy February night, to watch a professional production, getting home at 2 a.m.! We were lucky to be able to cast the play with actors who I believe have great credibility, and I hope there won’t be a dry eye in the house.
Finally, could I confirm that there is no truth in the rumour that the next production will be Ben Hur!